History

Temple Emanuel is a reform congregation located in Andover, Massachusetts. It is a community based on inclusiveness, where everyone is welcome regardless of age, marital status, sexual orientation, a Jew by birth or by Choice.

In 1920, a group of 30 families founded the Temple in Lawrence, Massachusetts. In 1957, the Temple relocated to a new building on Lowell Street in the Tower Hill section of Lawrence. After relocating, Temple Emanuel transferred its membership from the United Synagogue of America as a liberal Conservative congregation to full participation in the Union for Reform Judaism as a traditional Reform congregation. In 1979, the congregation moved to its present location in Andover.

Today, Temple Emanuel of Andover has a membership of approximately 550 families with more than 260 children in the Religious School. The congregation supports a full complement of programs from “Holiday Happenings” and its highly regarded Preschool to youth programming, bereavement support and everything in between. The Temple’s Sisterhood and Brotherhood, as well as the three Youth Groups, maintain a full calendar of social and cultural activities. Each year, supported by various memorial funds, distinguished scholars visit the congregation offering their views on subjects of Jewish concern.

Temple Emanuel has a Rabbi, Cantor/Music Director, Cantorial Soloist, Religious School Director, Preschool Director, and wonderful full /part time staff. The Temple is further supported by a community-based volunteer Executive Board and Board of Governors.

If you would like membership information, please contact the Office at 978.470.1356.